Down Time

I made a rather rough sketch of myself on a day when I needed to find comfort and rest from the chronic pain and other symptoms that I suffer.  Sketching, and other forms of art, can be a therapeutic way to express oneself and to process how it feels to experience difficulties that are caused by illness.  I am currently studying a course in Art Therapy and this has helped me to develop my skills in using art as a means of self-expression.

Since writing this Blog post, I have, as of June 27th 2017, now conclusively been diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson’s Disease.

It was a good day; achieved by pacing myself well and by giving myself permission to just do nothing; not an easy task when you have a thriving Counselling, Psychotherapy and Clinical Supervision practice to run alongside studying.

‘Down Time’.

0010

Go With the Flow

Sometimes, actually more often than not, I have to just stop and take time out.  This is not easy for me, for I have a very active mind and I am very busy with work and study.  Learning to ‘pace’ myself has taken practice.

For anyone else living with a chronic health problem, you will no doubt be familiar with my frustration at having to ‘down tools’ and just sit or lay and relax.  I tried to depict, within this sketch, a sense of relaxation but also frustration at having no choice in the matter.  So, while there is relaxation, there is also some tension that represents my inner hostility at having to give up time that I would otherwise like to spend being productive at work and study.

Always an Opportunity.

I am learning, though; day by day, week by week, month by month and year by year.  I have recognised the value of pacing myself and making myself take time, several times each day, to simply stop.  My mind is willing, but my body is not and so this is just what has to be done.  In fact, I have come to value this ‘down time’.  To me, it is my own personal version of a ‘siesta’.   Maybe everyone should do this?

This will probably not make sense to most people, but I know that there are many who will completely understand.

Advertisements

10 comments for “Down Time

1. May 1, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Love the sketch!

Liked by 1 person

2. Heather Heelis
    May 3, 2017 at 8:09 am

Easier said than done! But not impossible 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• May 7, 2017 at 12:32 am

True, Heather, but we must keep trying, for sometimes there will be success. Thanks for reading.

3. August 19, 2017 at 9:31 pm

I see you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra bucks every month because you’ve got high quality
    content. If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: best adsense
    alternative Wrastain’s tools

Liked by 1 person

4. November 27, 2017 at 5:44 pm

I like the quality of the marks you have made with the pencil, you have definitely projected an image of tension in the posture.

Liked by 1 person

• November 28, 2017 at 12:16 am

Thanks for reading my Blog, Kim and for your thoughts on my sketch. Yes, tension was the feeling while trying hard to get comfortable and relax! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment x

5. Celia
    December 12, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Reminds me of how my 8 year old looks when I enforce pre bed calm down time ….. compliance but itching to do something, anything … but smiling begrudgingly! I didn’t know about your diagnosis Dean. Know that I would give my time to you if you ever asked …. as long as it didn’t involve driving in the dark!

Liked by 1 person

• December 14, 2017 at 11:22 am

Hi Celia, How lovely of you to read my Blog. Thanks for your comment, too. I can imagine the scene. I used to hate being made to go to bed when I was 8 years old. Nowadays, I love my sleep! I’m good thanks. Still busy at work and writing. I’m sorry night time driving is still a problem. I hope work is going well. Dean x